|COMMUNITY WHITE PAPER||10.5270/OceanObs09.cwp.04|
The JCOMM In Situ Observing Platform Support Centre: A Decade of Progress and Remaining Challenges
Mathieu Belbeoch(1), Hester Viola(1), Howard Freeland(2), Candyce Clark(3), David Meldrum(4), Etienne Charpentier(5), Keith Alverson(6), Peter Dexter(7), Jean-Louis Fellous(8)
Download this paper »
This community white paper will present the origins, evolution and future challenges of JCOMMOPS, the Joint WMO-IOC (World Meteorological Organization/Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission) Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology (JCOMM) Observing Platform Support Centre.
JCOMMOPS follows the direction of international panels and steering teams. It is a component of the international coordination mechanism, which aims on behalf of JCOMM to:
- assist as appropriate in the implementation of the Global Ocean Observing System;
- develop synergies between observing systems;
- assist in the planning, implementation and operations of the observing systems;
- monitor and evaluate the performance of the networks;
- encourage cooperation between communities and member states;
- encourage data sharing;
- assist in data distribution on the Internet and GTS (Global Telecommunications System);
- relay users' feedback on data quality to platform operators;
- encourage harmonisation of data and instrumentation related practices;
- provide technical assistance and user support worldwide;
- act as a clearing house and focal point for all aspects of the program.
Correspondence should be addressed to E-mail: email@example.com
This paper shall be cited as:
Belbeoch, M. & Co-Authors (2010). "The JCOMM In Situ Observing Platform Support Centre: A Decade of Progress and Remaining Challenges" in Proceedings of OceanObs’09: Sustained Ocean Observations and Information for Society (Vol. 2), Venice, Italy, 21-25 September 2009, Hall, J., Harrison, D.E. & Stammer, D., Eds., ESA Publication WPP-306, doi:10.5270/OceanObs09.cwp.04
Rights to reproduction of individual articles are held by the authors. The source of the article (these proceedings) shall be cited.