The final draft Conference Summary is open for public review through 8 November 2010. Please leave your comments below, or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org (in track changes if you wish).
This version of the Conference Summary is quite different from a previous draft that was circulated for comment in early 2010. We have in the end worked down two dead ends in the past year:
- We tried building a conference summary out of the session summaries that were prepared by the session chairs and rapporteurs, but found these to be rather uneven in style and density;
- We went back to the source material and extracted from all of the Community White Papers their core recommendations for the observing system, and tried to compile this into a meeting summary - but similarly failed because these were so uneven in style and prescriptiveness;
and we have finally come to this draft version inspired by the material above but using a different approach, which has 3 overall sections:
- a high-level executive summary,
- a description of the conference process,
- a synthesis of recommendations, opportunities and challenges for the observing system, broken down by component: observing platforms, sensor and technology development, the data system, information and services, and overall observing system design.
The document also includes a preface that would be the first piece of the volume, followed by the table of contents, the adopted Conference Statement, and the summary we seek comment on.